Saturday, January 1, 2011

Poem from NHH


Why the Turtle Walks Slow



Why does the turtle walk so slow?



Because he as a lot of time and nowhere to go.



Oh.

Why don’t we walk slow?



Because we’re on auto.



Oh.

Where are we to go?



…I don’t know



A little background info on this poem:

I tried to set up a scene where a older man and a boy (possibly grandfather and grandson) were talking (possibly during a visit to the zoo but I really don't like zoos). I battled over whether or not to use the correct form of the adverb 'slowly' rather than 'slow' because it bothers me that one might read this and think I don't know simple grammar but after about 5 minutes from posting this to the blog, I figured what the hell- authors don't have to explain why they've made any certain move in their work (even though I somewhat did). I suppose it helps to impart some juvenility in the questions.


If one wants to turn off the music I have set for my blog, simply scroll to the bottom to find the media player.

more later,

g

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gabe, I really really liked your poem. I'm listening to Blue Ridge Mountains by Fleet Foxes as I read back over it and your post.

I loved the background information on the poem. I wish more authors would explain the inspiration for their work...I find stories, poems, essays more endearing when I hear the author talking about them.

Along those lines, I found your idea about the grandfather and grandson intriguing. As a warning, I'm not a big fan of abstract poetry. I prefer poetry that is more direct and has a story. So, read this next part with that in mind.
I think it would be really cool to tell that story of the older man and boy. I am drawn in to poems and stories more when I get a sense of the characters and who is speaking.
And I don't think the two necessarily need to be at a zoo. Some people keep turtles as pets. Or maybe pick a different animal. Turtles already carry the association with slowness...so what if you discussed any equally slow creature (praying mantises, whales, something the reader wouldn't normally think of as "slow." Or maybe a "fast" animal having a slower moment). Also, with that in mind, maybe change up the ages and relationships of the two people. It might be cool to have two people the same age have this conversation, as our generation is generally perceived as being fast-paced. But not all of us are! We try! We try so hard!

Regardless, I loved your poem. You have a distinct, unique voice.

Erin Jones said...

Hey Gabe!
I didn't realize you had a blog, but I'm so glad I discovered it. I'm assuming all the pictures are yours, since you're a photographer, and they're beautiful. You're an artist!
(Also--cool blog name, and I'm behind the sentiment all the way.)
I hope you're having an amazing time in Spain, and it's life-changing, growth-spurring awesomeness.